On 4 November 2016, Hamburg residents and guests alike had their first chance to visit the Elbphilharmonie Plaza. Since then, more than four million people have flocked to the Plaza, making it one of Germany’s most popular tourist attractions.
To mark its one-year anniversary, there will be a programme of live music, snacks and drinks from 10:00 to 18:00. Everyone who also celebrates their birthday on this day receives a small gift and can take part in an exclusive raffle.
And of course there will be a little ceremony featuring the Mayor of Hamburg, Olaf Scholz, and the General and Artistic Director of the Elbphilharmonie, Christoph Lieben-Seutter.
As always, admission for spontaneous visitors is free!
And it won’t only be the Plaza celebrating. Everyone whose birthday falls on 4 November can go through a special birthday turnstile together with a companion, after showing their ID, and will find a gift waiting for them on the Plaza. We’ll also be giving a special welcome to the babies that will be one year old on the day.
All birthday boys and girls can take part in a photo call at 11:30, after which they will have the chance to win concert tickets, an overnight stay at the WESTIN Hotel, a dinner in the Störtebeker Restaurant, guided tours of the Elbphilharmonie and other prizes in a raffle.
- On 4 November, from 10:00 to 18:00
- Live music, snacks and drinks on the Plaza
- Birthday reception, photoshoot (11:30), raffle and gifts for all birthday boys and girls
For everyone who also celebrates their birthday on 4 November
- win concert tickets
- an overnight stay at the Westin Hotel
- an evening meal at the Störtebeker Restaurant
- guided tours through the Elbphilharmonie
- and much more!
THE PLAZA: A MAGNET FOR VISITORS
A group of 20 or so pupils from the Katharinenschule were the first guests to accompany Hamburg's mayor Olaf Scholz up to the Elbphilharmonie Plaza nearly a year ago. And attendance figures since then have been nothing if not impressive:
- up to 17,000 Hamburg residents and visitors from all over the world daily
- more than four million visitors in the first year
- over 62,000 guided tour participants
- more than 680,000 concertgoers
- 26,000 visitors on the weekend following the opening
- in February 2017, the millionth visitor was surprised with a gift
- the month with the most visitors was August – with more than 444,000 guests
- The Tube was 5,500 hours in service in its first year – that’s about 65,000 complete revolutions!
ONE PLACE – MANY POSSIBILITIES
Apart from international guests, it’s primarily Hamburg locals who have discovered the Plaza in for themselves. Bridal couples regularly hold photo sessions here with the docks in the background, and one or two proposals of marriage have been observed as well! In the mornings, groups of children often spend some time on the Plaza on their way to school, and many local residents use their lunch break to have a snack at the bistro »Deck & Deli«. As part of the »Transatlantic« festival in April, the Hot 8 Brass Band showed Plaza visitors that this is also a great venue for live music.
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR PLAZA VISITORS
The Elbphilharmonie Plaza is open daily from 09:00 to midnight. As space is limited, the number of visitors is regulated the issue of Plaza tickets. Free tickets for admission to the Plaza are available on the same day at the Elbphilharmonie Visitors’ Center (Am Kaiserkai 62) and at the main entrance to the Elbphilharmonie at Platz der Deutschen Einheit. Advance booking with more than one day’s notice is possible online at www.elbphilharmonie.com and also at the Elbphilharmonie Visitors’ Center for a booking fee of €2.00 per ticket.Mehr zur Plaza