They aren't even 30 yet, and they have already been playing together for ten years: the Aris Quartet from Frankfurt is one of the most exciting young string quartets in the classical-music world. They have making music together since their late teens, and have now been nominated as »Rising Stars« by the Elbphilharmonie and the Konzerthaus Dortmund. In this context, they are appearing in the 2020/21 season in some of Europe's leading concert halls.
Before embarking on their concert tour, the quartet had a three-day residency at the Elbphilharmonie in August 2020 – an opportunity to try out a unique experiment: concert programmes are normally planned to suit the location , but in this case the entire Elbphilharmonie was placed at the four musicians' disposal so that they could find the ideal place for their performance of György Kurtág's String Quartet op. 28.
This experience served as the basis for a film documentary that accompanied the quartet on its search for the perfect acoustics, which took them from the underground car park to the roof of the Elbphilharmonie.
Film: In Search of the Perfect Acoustics
The Aris Quartet's residency at the Elbphilharmonie :11–13 August 2020
The Aris Quartet
- 2009: Founded at the Frankfurter Musikhochschule
- 2016: Second prize at the ARD International Music Competition, also audience prize, Osnabrück Music Prize, Special Prize ProQuartet and Special Prize Genuin Classics
- 2018: BBC »New Generation Artists«
- 2020: Release of their fourth album (Shostakovich / Schubert)
- 2020/21: »Rising Stars« of the European Concert Hall Organisation
Anna Katharina Wildermuth violin
Noémi Zipperling violin
Caspar Vinzens viola
Lukas Sieber violoncello
Text: Anne-Elisabeth Lesseur / Laura Etspüler, Stand: 8.10.2020
Sponsored by Classical Futures Europe and the European Union programme Creative Europe.